Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Painting


On one of our last visits to Indiana to see our grandma, my sister asked if she could have a painting that hung above our grandma's couch of a girl playing the piano. My grandma graciously agreed, but I was angry...I liked that painting too and why should my sister have it just because she was the oldest. When our grandmother passed away, one of the first things my sister claimed was the painting and when we moved into our condo it was one of the first things that went up on the wall. 

For almost seven years this painting has adorned the wall of my (and at one time my sister's) condo. I never thought anything about it even though the painting kind of creeped me out. For a while I searched for something to hang in its place. But I could never find anything, so I left the painting where it was. Over the years I've moved the couch a few inches here and a few inches there and have moved the painting as needed.

My friend's sister was visiting for a few days over spring break; and we decided to begin our break with a spring training game. Everyone was going to meet at my house to carpool out to the game. My friend and her sister were the first to arrive. Upon setting foot into my house, my friend's sister looks at the painting above my couch and tells me that a single woman should NEVER have a painting of another single female in her house. It's bad relationship karma. I immediately freaked out, blaming it on my sister, after all, it was HER painting. No wonder why no relationships have existed for me since moving into this place. 

I tried to shake off her "advice" and left the painting where it was, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. Finally, I gave in, took the painting down and shoved it in a closet. And now I wonder...what does this blank wall mean? Is it a clean slate...a new beginning...a relationship waiting to begin...or just another blank wall that I have to figure out how to decorate? I'm thinking it means the latter...so thank you Erika for freaking me out and now forcing me to re-decorate my living room wall!


1 comment: