Thursday, April 9, 2009

Small World

As I sit in my bedroom, I'm surrounded by numerous photos. Photos of people whom I haven't talked to in years, photos of happy moments with my family, photos of friends whom, although I don't talk to, I will never forget and photos of memories I want to always remember.

There's a photo of a friend (that I haven't talked to in years) and me at an ASU football game. Another photo of a family trip to Mexico when I was 27 (we looked like we didn't have a care in the world). One photo of me in a maid of honor dress, standing next to a bride, whom, if I'm lucky, I get to see once a year. I can't forget the picture of me and my sister before a John Mayer concert, one of our last real sister bonding moments. There's the photo of me and Kim at my first prom chaperoning experience (who would've known that we would become such good friends?). 

But, as I look around, I notice that there are moments in my life that I have no pictures of. Moments that weren't horrible, but moments that I have forgotten over time. One such moment is from my first "real" job. The summer after my first year at NAU I worked for a temp agency. My first assignment: Norwest Bank. Operations center. Balancing ATM machines. I knew NOTHING about balancing ATM machines, but I caught on quickly and was soon hired as a permanent employee of the bank. 

After about a year, Norwest merged with Wells Fargo and my ATM balancing went to teller balancing. I shared a cubicle with Brenda. Brenda and I became good work friends. We talked about our walks with Christ (she continually invited me to her church), my non-existent love life, our future plans in life, her family, my family, etc. Brenda and I shared a lot of time together. But soon our time was over and I moved on and left all my Norwest friends behind. 

As time passed, I forgot about those people - about the talks I had with many of them, the events we all celebrated together, recipes we shared, frustrations we had, weekly meetings, too many chiefs and not enough indians, etc. 
I forgot about them until one day. I was at the gym, sweating my butt off in an aerobics class. As the instructor counted, she suddenly stopped what she was doing, looked in the mirror at me and exclaimed "Melanie? Melanie Allen!?" I looked at her with a perplexed look on my face, "It's me, Brenda Tannor!" she continued. This wasn't possible. All those bank people had just fizzled away, but standing before me was evidence of the past that I had forgotten. After class Brenda and I caught up. 

As I drove home, I was reminded of all the people that have come in and out of my life. All these people have left some sort of impression on my life whether or not I have a picture to remember them by.

No comments:

Post a Comment